For some reason I just can’t get enough of off-shoulder and bell-sleeves. I love them! Especially when combined together! I know, I know, later on I’m going to get tired of them, but that’s not now, so why care!
I used this floral bubble crepe from my local fabric store. Gosh, what can I say about this fabric…. I'm not even a floral type of girl, yet when I saw it, immediately I saw it's potential as a maxi dress that would flow and move. So I purchased 4 yards... just because! Yea, I knew I was buying alot and probably wasn't going to use it all, but that's just how enamored I was with the fabric. Besides, it has this wonderful texture that made me a little weak.
I sewed Simplicity 1161, view A, in a size small, but I made heck of alot of changes. Sooo….basically, I ended up just using the bodices of View A.
Although, I like the spaghetti strap and bell sleeves of the pattern, I disliked the ruffles and the boxy look of the dress, which was why I decided to alter it. My inspiration came from this Banana Republic dress that sold out almost within a week.
I guess I wasn't the only one who was infatuated with the dress at first glance. Everything about the dress screamed at me from the movement to the way the top hid everything only allowing the bell sleeves to peek out. I knew I wanted to sew something similar.
- My changes were:
- Removed bodice darts.
- Created front and back overlays by slashing and spreading front and back bodices.
- Top stitched the bodices seams twice to keep from separating.
- Created bias binding for the inner sleeves.
- Created 42 x 17 inches 3 panel skirt with slit at side.
- Added lining to the shirt and skirt.
- Elasticized the waist.
- Rolled hem the skirt.
- Added a sash
The outcome of the dress surpassed my expectations. If, I were to recreate it I would make a front slit versus side.
P.S. - you are loved!